If you are new to working from, we’d like to welcome you aboard. Times-a-changing. But hopefully for the better.
We have been working from for the past 5 years and one of the best decisions was purchasing a standing desk. A standing desk is great for keeping you active, Science says that standing while working can help you to burn about 10% more calories per day. The American Cancer Society suggests that sitting for long periods of time can be detrimental to your health. On the flipside, standing while working can help to counteract areas such as obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and even a shorter life.
While standing is great, science shows that standing on a hard concrete floor for more than an hour can cause serious discomfort to your back, legs, feet, and neck. And this fatigue in your body and joints will cause pain. And pain leads to a reduction in productivity. And that is exactly what we are trying to get away from.
Some have asked how to stay on your feet all day? And is there a trick to standing for long periods of time?
Say hello to anti-fatigue mats and comfort mats.
What is an anti-fatigue mat (aka comfort mat, standing desk mat)?
It’s a soft cushioned surface for your to stand on while using your standing desk. The cushioned surface helps you to stand more comfortable for longer periods of time. They also help to to counteract negative effects from standing like soreness and fatigue.
The mats come in different forms. All are cushioned. Some have a terrain, others of a ridged surface. The key to it is that they are aiming to make standing more comfortable (hence the name, comfort mat).
Now its not required that you get a mat to go along with your standing desk. Its not something you need. But your feet will thank you for it.
How do I pick the mat best for me?
There are several factors to consider when purchasing an anti-fatigue mat. Personal preference is highly relevant in each of these areas so it ultimately depends on what is important to you.
That said, we believe that the best mat offers:
- Range of standing positions
- You need to be comfortable when you are standing. Many of contours and terrains offered on anti-fatigue mats allow you to stand in different positions and ways. Ultimately, these designs can make standing less boring, and more comfortable.
- The cushion quality is critical. The higher quality cushions will have a longer life, which is likely what you are after. There are many options in the $30 price-point area but the lower quality material will hurt in the long run. The lower quality options are more apt to tear.
- Consider the grip between the mat and the floor, along with the grip between you and the mat. You want to make sure that it is not a surface which will cause you to sink, or even slip.
- They call them comfort mats for a reason. With greater comfort, you will be able to stand for a longer period of time.
- As noted above, there are various price points ranging from $20 to $150. Ultimately you get what you pay for. But we can help you find the best value.
- While anti-fatigue mats are not necessarily centerpieces, you do want to ensure that it goes with the rest of the decor in your room.
The Best Anti-Fatigue Mats for Your Standing Desk
Based on the criteria noted above, these are our top 5 picks.
Ergodriven Topo Mat
Our number one pick is the Ergodriven Topo Mat. It is the best option which allows for many different standing positions and stances. The contour of the mat encourages lots of movement, and ultimately it makes it easy and comfortable for you to stand. What we like best about it is that it helps to relieve pressure on your feet, back, torso, shoulders and more. It is a high quality mat, resistant to tears and spills. It’s even easy to clean. There is even a 30-day return policy and 7 year warranty. So you know it will last. There are a variety of colors including black, blue, purple, and grey, helping you make it fit right in with your room.
Imprint Cumulus Pro
This is a crowd favorite flat anti-fatigue mat which provides strong, firm support. It includes a deeper feel than what you might get from other comfort mats. We also feel that its sleek design makes for a look and feel which matches your room a bit more. And for those of you who are warranty conscious, then this might be your option. Imprint offers a lifetime guaranteed warranty.
Royal Ergonomic Comfort Mat
If you are new to the standing desk and anti-fatigue mat world, then you might want to consider a lower priced option. Enter the Royal Comfort Mat. This is our favorite budget pick. If you are standing in shorter bursts, then this is an option we recommend. It offers solid relief for your body and offers firm support. It is a bit more narrow than others but is ultimately the best option at its price point.
SmartCells Anti-Fatigue Comfort Mat
The flat cushioned mat gives you the stability you need, with an elegant look and feel. It was ergonomically engineered to optimize for standing for long periods of time. The comfort mat gives you a natural level of support which gives you just the right amount of cushion. It comes with an 8 year warranty and offers a strong durable material.
AmazonBasics Anti-Fatigue Comfort Mat
It offers a bit more cushion than others, but also has contours which conform to your feet. This mat offers good stability and like many amazonbasics products, it does the trick and offers what you need. It helps to minimize any discomfort in your legs or back and gives you an additional level of support which makes standing more enjoyable. Similar to Royal Mat, this is one of our recommended budget picks.